Wednesday, January 30, 2013

All About Me Post


Hey Everyone, my name is Emily Elizabeth Wilson. I am 19 years old and a sophomore at Edinboro Universtiy of Pennsylvania. I am studying Early Childhood and Special Education. I hope to someday teach Kindergarten. The reason I wanted to become a teacher was beacuse I use to work at the WLD Ranch as a horsemansihip instructor and then as a camp counsler. I have a great love for horses and for riding and through teaching others to ride I grew a great love of children. When i was asked to be a counselor I couldnt resisit the opportunity. I loved my campers and the bond we created those summers was indescribable. I decided to duel major and add Special Education because the children I had as campers were the specal needs kids. I had some of the best times with those children, they were a challenge but made me laugh and I loved to watch them as the week went on. These children had to  overcome obstacles and challenges such as being away from home, away from mom and dad and the fears of some the other opputuiites they were given. It was then I realixed that teaching was the job for me.
I feel that technology in learning can be complicated. I know personally I find myself sometimes struggling because I am a hands on learner and to not have something in front of me can be a personal challenge. I do enjoy learning how to use new technology that will help me in teaching and in life. I hope that when I am a teacher I can incorporate technology in my classroom.
I feel that technology in teaching is that same way. It can be easy or difficult depending on the person. Like I said I am a hands on learner so teaching with technology could be just as difficult as learning with technology. I know that in my classroom I will use technology of some sort so I need to be good at using that technology. I would need to watch my future students to see if their were children that struggled when I used technology and perhaps adapt my teaching strategies for those children. 
A belief statement I have as a future teacher is that students learn best when actively engaged.
Children should be active in the classroom. My students should give feedback and be able to answer questions. I believe that enthusiasm is contagious, and that my students will be enthusiastic if I am enthusiastic about the material. My challenge as an educator is to strive to be enthusiastic in my presentation of material, and will use humor and a positive attitude to evoke similar behaviors from my students. I really loved Winnie the Pooh growing up and when i saw this video I thought it was super funny. This is defiantly something I would share with my class to get a good laugh out of them :)

7 comments:

  1. Great job! I think it's cool that we have the same major and are both heading towards wanting to be a Kindergarten teacher. I completely agree with your belief statement. Being actively engaged in the classroom is important to make it a fun environment and help students who learn in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a hands on kind of person and I also believe students learn best when they are physically engaged in the topic. I feel that is my strongest belief overall :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey i love horses too and being a wrestler for so long i have grown to love children as well thats why i want to become a teacher and be able to coach little kids in wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was very informational and told us a lot about you! And I too believe children should be active in the classroom. That's a very important part of classrooms today. Very good use of the video and how you would show your future class! And I am also studying Early Childhood:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily. I’m the same major and I agree with you the special needs kids are the bomb. That stuff with the horses sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twitter really isn't my thing either. I agree with your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a hand on learners as well. With technology it is sometimes challenging and other time it works better. I love Winnie the Pooh as well. Piglet was my favorite!

    ReplyDelete